Monday, December 19, 2011

Happenings at A Place in Time on December 19, 2011

Good Morning Everyone,

Well, Christmas is almost upon us. It seems to arrive faster each year. I guess that's a sign that I'm getting older. The store is decorated, the Christmas carols are providing a soft background, I'm feeling nostalgic for for a chill in the air. It almost doesn't "feel" like Christmas yet. Perhaps it's because we run a retail business and the days are just too full of taking care of business. I think I need a vacation. Ha!

First up today are a couple of photos that I want to share with you. People come into our store, some visit periodically, while others may drop in to say hi a couple times a week. I see them as friends and am always pleasantly surprised at how truly talented they really are. There are days when customers come into the store and show me a sample of what they have created. At that point I am truly "blown away" by their creativity. Recently, Maude brought in her latest project and I just had to to share it with you. It's an example of what I call simple elegance. It's also something that I believe each and everyone of you is capable of doing. Thank you Maude for sharing.


The next example I have to share with you is an experiment using the new air brush tool and the application of translucent embossing paste. I have to laugh at myself for the thoughts I had as I first gazed upon the fish just after the paste had been applied to the stencil. I thought the fish looked like it had died and was decomposing. Ha! What little I know. Priscilla said " just wait and let the paste dry - the color will show through the paste." As usual she was right. I came into the store the next morning and the image had transformed into something really beautiful. The combination of the embossing paste and the alcohol ink in the Copic Pens gives the fish a depth of dramatic colors. You will have to compare it to other images we have done. Try it yourself and you will be amazed - I promise. As easy as using the "Big Shot". Everyone trying the air brush for the first time has been pleased with the outcome.



We had an arrival last Friday from Graphic 45. At your request, Priscilla brought this line of paper into the store a couple of months ago. It was an instant favorite of both the card maker and scrapbooker. This time, Priscilla chose their Tropical Travelogue Collection. You are going to love it. The paper is two sided and the colors are fantastic. It looks like Graphic 45 took images of Hawaii and placed it on their paper. Some of the paper even has a vintage appearance of "Old Hawaii". Visitors are always asking for paper that reflects the beauty of our islands. This will more than satisfy them. In addition to the 12x12 paper there is an 8x8 pad of paper. If you are a stamper you will enjoy the images offered in the two travelogue stamp sets. Rounding out the product line are chipboard stickers, chipboard flowers, and bronzed metal flowers. Any of these accessories would provide the perfect accent to any card or scrapbook page.

Soon to arrive in the store will be a shipment from Sizzix. Your response to our current sale has been well received. We have the best packaged prices on the island for the Eclips and Big Shot and the sale will run through the end of December. Be sure and take advantage of the fantastic sale price on the eCAL software for the Eclips machine. Right now you can get it for $29.99. As of January 1st the price will go up to $79.99.

We are starting to make plans for the new year with new classes that you can look forward to taking. Jan Kruger came into the store on Thursday and will be staying in the islands for several months. Many of you took classes from he earlier this year. I'm sure Priscilla and Jan will be planning something for the near future. Also, Fran Kawakami will be starting her bi-monthly classes beginning in January. Stay tuned and I'll keep you informed.

That's all for now. If we don't see you, Priscilla and I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. See you tomorrow....

Bill
A Place in Time
48 Maluniu Ave
Kailua, HI 96734
808-261-2882

No comments: