Friday, August 12, 2011

Happenings on August 12th 2011


Good morning everyone,

Well, the dog days of summer have arrived. Do you all know why it's called the "Dog Days"? I grew up thinking it had to do with the heat from the sun was the strongest at that time of the year. And accordingly, dogs being smarter than people, knew enough to get out of the sun. I remember our dog would dig a hole in the grass and crawl in because the earth was cooler there. The reality is that the "Dog Days" were named after a constellation (Canis Major) that became very prominent in the sky during that time of the year and Sirius was it's brightest star. Personally, I like my story of dogs being smarter than people.

Ok....back to more fun things. A reminder that Priscilla's free Make and Take is this coming Sunday (14th) from 2:00-5:00pm. Check my previous blog for a picture of the project. You will learn how to use the Bead Making template from Hot Off the Press. The beads are used to make the body of a butterfly. Using wire, a bit of adhesive, and a butterfly diecut you make what becomes a very nice gift bag.

Art has been busy back in Manufacturing. He has created a new stencil and with all apologies to the Portuguese in our community he has named it "Tree Nuts and a Canoe". We put it out on the floor yesterday and the response from the public has been positive. I also thought you might like to see a project that we just completed. It involves using the laser to diecut an invitation for an upcoming wedding. Perhaps it will give you an idea for a future project.














Fran Kawakami was in the store on Wednesday and she brought in some new 3 x 3 cards that are very cute and easy to make. The images are stickers and rub-ons from Imaginsce. We are also working on a template for Fran to use in upcoming class. The template is a coin holder that you can use in multiple ways.






















I have a bit more information re: Lynell Harlow's classes in September (14th and 15th). Each class will be distinctly different in subject matter. The first class will employ the use of metal. I've mentioned that to people in the store and their eyes would light up. The second class will be about "Bling and Backgrounds". Lynell's classes are beginning to fill up, so if your interested please give me a call. I'm expecting some sample boards. I will share them with you when they arrive. The cost of her classes is $35.00 and includes a free stencil.

We have some new paper in the store for you to start using. It's card stock that ranges in weight from 65lb to 111lb. The colors are very neutral - some with specs of "light" in them. The cost you'll just love.

Also, Priscilla has brought rolls of Crepe Paper into the store. It's a heavier weight than the typical crepe paper. It's 29 1/2" wide and we are selling it by the yard. I think I will use it has a background for my card making, but it can be used in so many different ways.













The last thing that I have to share with you is - Have you ever heard a a web site called "FOODGAWKER". For people who like to cook or just look at the results of delicious recipes, this is the web site for you. I offer the following photo of Pam, Priscilla, and Debbie looking at the various offerings on my I-Pad. That's all I'm going to say. I may be in enough trouble anyway.
















One last last thing.... Sizzix has changed the prices again on the Eclips. They've gone up. That's the bad news. The good news is that I'm going to offer something that I think you will want to take take advantage of. If you've been sitting on the fence, now is the time to get off of it. I'm not going to tell you what it is here. You have to come into the store.

That's all for today....... See you tomorrow

UB

No comments: