Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Happenings on August 23rd 2011

Good morning all,

I've got several things for your review today.

First up is Priscilla's Make and Take that is scheduled for Sunday Sept.4th (2-5pm). Our Make and Takes are usually held on the 2nd Sunday of each month. However, Priscilla leaves for the mainland on Tuesday the 6th, and we've rescheduled it to the first Sunday. Sometimes I wonder at the meaning of words. As an example, take the words genius and ingenious. What is the difference? Don't they both mean that someone is being described as being smart? Now, no husband is going to say that his wife is a genius, but if he's intelligent he will say that she is smarter than he is. Does that make the husband a genius or ingenious? I think the difference is shown in the person(s) who invented the computer and the paper clip. The person who invented the computer had to be extremely intelligent (genius), whereas the person who had the vision to see a piece of wire bent to a different shape had "street smarts" (ingenious). Not everyone can be a genius, but anyone can be ingenious - including you. Why am I boring you with all of this? Well, I think Priscilla's Make and Take is ingenious. She takes a plain old brown paper sack and makes it into a "way cool" mini album. Learn how to fold a sack, utilize some punches, stamps, and ink pads and you've created something that anybody would appreciate - both as a giver and as a receiver. It's the small gifts that we give to each other that we truly treasure. This can be one of those. She is also working on a modified version that is more challenging to offer as an future class.

















Labor Day weekend is almost upon us and we are planning on making it special for you. There will be more details in the next blog. One of the things that will make the weekend special is that Debbie West will be teaching a class on Monday Sept. 5th (12:00-2:00pm) It is entitled "FLOWERS OF FANCY" Debbie uses a new product in our store - beautiful double-sided crepe paper. From this Debbie will show you how to construct artful flowers that can be turned into greeting cards, pins, party decorations, gift wrap, or as embellishments for your journals, books, and scrapbooking. The image in the center of the flowers has a "retro" look to me. The class is only $15.00 but we are setting a class minimum of 3 students. So give me a call and I'll sign you up and let you know what you need to bring. It would be a great way to spend a couple of hours having fun and enjoying the company of other crafters.









































Fran Kawakami's class "A YEAR IN CARDS" - FRIENDSHIP is this coming Thursday (25th) from 6:30-8:30pm. There are still a couple seats left. Don't forget, discount card holders get an additonal 10% off of any purchase.

The shipment from Dreamweaver arrived late yesterday, so guess what I'll be doing on my day off (Tuesday). Yep...entering the items into the system, tagging them, and putting them out on to the floor. I've been waiting for this shipment to arrive so I can start doing some Halloween cards. I know, where has the year gone. We are also developing some new Halloween stencils.

Speaking of Dreamweaver, I want to once again mention that Lynell Harlow has classes scheduled for Spet. 14th and 15th. Please see my previous blogs for photos and details. I plan on taking the class involving a new metal technique. Come and join me.

Recently I rearranged things in the store in anticipation of the new arrivals that are happening almost daily. This morning I had an idea of having a "Wall Sale". Yep... I'm thinking of selling a Wall. But first I've got to speak with Priscilla - Ha - that's the "genius" in me. More to follow.

That's it for now...... see you tomorrow


UB

No comments: