Friday, March 16, 2012

Happenings at A Place in Time on March 15th, 2012

Good Evening Everyone,

I have just a few things to share with you tonight. The month of March is at it's midway point and the mainland has reverted to it's daylight savings time. It's a real "pain" for us because it means the east coast is now 6 hours away. If we need to speak with someone, we had better do it before the noon hour here. Luckily for me, most of my vendors for the manufacturing side of our business have outlets in California. One of our next orders will involve engraving a logo onto the lens of sunglasses. The Scapper's Jam was held last weekend and it was a big success for us. The venue changed this year to the Ohana Hotel located by the airport. It was a smaller space, less room for vendors, but we made up for it by showing off the variety of stencils that we offer in our store and a new way you can use them. Apparently, the "hit" of the show was an anniversary card that Priscilla made for me last year. It made the rounds of the room and people were asking when Priscilla was going to do a class. Stay tuned and I'll let you know once Priscilla informs me. It wouldn't surprise me if there was enough demand for two classes. It's a beautiful card and I have it on display in the store.

Classes:  Three classes remain this month. First up is Fran's "A Year in Cards - Celebrations" on Wednesday, March 21st. There are 2 seats left. Please give me a call and I can include you with the others that have already sign up. The samples are on display, so come by the store and take a look.  Second, on Saturday, March 24th - Debbie and Pam are holding their "Altered Art Adventure #3" class. The class is 50% full so there is still room for more. You can check my previous Blogs for the photos that I have posted. The samples are on display and I will answer any questions you might have. The 3nd class is Priscilla's "Stenciling Techniques" on Wednesday, March 28th. I think there are just 2 seats left. Once again, you can refer to my previous Blog for details and photos.

Yesterday, Priscilla pointed out to me that the Star Advertiser is running it's "Peoples Choice Awards" Contest this month. If you have the time and agree that we have a pretty good store right here in Kailua, please vote for us as the Best Craft Supply store. We have stiff competition in a "chain" store on this island and, with your help, we would like to give them a little competition for the title. Ballots have to be submitted by March 28, 2012. You can only vote once and you have to drop off or mail the ballot to:  Hawaii's Best - 500 Ala Moana Blvd, 7-500 Honolulu, HI 96813. You can go on line to print out a ballot, but you can't vote online. Thank you for your support.

The last thing that I have for you is a photo of Pam Yee's class that was held last night - "The Power of Ten". Pam did a great job showing how, with just a few pieces of paper, you can make 10 different and stylish greeting cards. Melanie, Cathy, Mark, and Byron had a fun time. At one point I wandered over to see how they were doing and was surprised to find out that they weren't following the guidelines. That's fantastic - both Pam and I like to see the crafters getting creative and thinking "outside the box". Byron was making dragonflies in lieu of the butterflies shown on the samples, Mark made flowers out of left over material (the samples didn't show flowers), and Melanie thought a tree would look nice on one of her cards (yep, no tree on any of the samples - where did she get the tree? - I'm not going to tell). Also, Cathy and Pam discovered that they originated from the same area in Michigan. Small world as we all know. It was a fun time and they are looking forward to the next class.


"The Power of Ten"

I know there is probably more that I should be talking about, but it's getting late. We did get a small order from Memory box in the store. They have the 2 best dies for an Easter egg you will ever see. The rest of the Memory Box order should be in shortly. The problem is that you have made their product so popular that they are back-logged with orders. They didn't anticipate the demand. We also received a few items from Sizzix. The embossing folder that looks like black coral is now available again. Also, the popular "Card Fronts" and "Critters" cartridges for the Eclips machine is back on the floor. The last time I looked we still have a couple of "Easter" cartridges that are still available also. Make the time to come in and see what Art has been doing with the Easter eggs. Oh! We have been resupplied with more Big-Shots.

That's all for now..... I'll see you tomorrow

Bill
A Place in Time
48 Maluniu Ave.
Kailua, Hi 96734
1-808-261-2882
ptcraftshop.com

No comments: