Sunday, February 17, 2013

Happenings at A Place in Time on February 17, 2013

Happy Sunday Everyone,

Did you ever notice how people move through the year at different paces. The employee focuses on getting to the weekend and keys on "Hump Day (Wednesday) and "Aloha Friday". The minister's focus is on Sunday and the message he will deliver in the sermon. CPA's - their attention is on April 15 and the quarterly reports. Stores move through the year based upon the seasons and focus their advertising and merchandise accordingly. Over the years I have changed. In college I focused on the reviews of my architectural designs. In Viet Nam my attention was on my men and mission. I lived one day at a time. Afterward as a civilian and an employee I was on learning everything involved in being a general contractor. Weekends were my time to escape with my horse and explore the surrounding hills. When I opened my own company all the days were the same. The work and stress was always there. It was then that I discovered Hawaii and it was the one place I could go and relax. Moving to Hawaii and opening the store here - there was never a day off. In a way I could have been living anywhere because my world was the store. Now that we've downsized, I'm just as busy but I now have the weekends and I feel like I'm finally living in Hawaii. Life is so good. And I feel very blessed.

Ok... back to the Blog. Fran's class is coming up this Saturday (February 23rd) and it has been expanded by an extra 1/2 hour - 1pm - 3:30pm. The cost is $23.00. The class is more than 1/2 full, but there are still a few seats available. Fran got the samples to me and as promised - here they are for your review. Sometimes I think there is a Menehune in my camera though because it sees the samples differently than I do. Where I see green, it sometimes sees blue. Maybe I should take a class on the use of the camera. Anyway, one of the photos is not  a true likeness of the cards you will be making. And these cards you will truly enjoy making. They are some of the best I've seen. It's exciting to see how Fran has incorporated two of our new stencil designs into her cards (Sakura background and Bamboo. It will show you that you can use just a small part of a stencil and not the whole image.  Fran has done a fantastic job. The supplies to bring are: Paper trimmer,scissors, adhesive tape and glue, Versamark Watermark Stamp Pad, tweezers, piercing tool and pad (you can use an old mouse pad, paper flower shaping tool or ball stylus, small glue dots (if you have), a scrimping tool (if you have), and a gold pen (if you have), and a Majestic Purple Liquid Pearl.

The paper Fran used Bazzil's 12x12 solid colors and Graphic 45's "Birdsong" designer paper. It makes for a strong, rich, elegant combination.

Card "A"
As mentioned,  my camera saw blue when in reality the card background is more of a light teal.


Card "B"

Card "C"

Card "D"

Card "E"
This past week in our engraving activity we found ourselves doing a wide variety of things. We engraved wood plates as welcome aboard gifst for incoming personnel to VPU-2, a koa urn, name badges for the Four Seasons Hualalai, an acrylic award for the Four seasons Lana'i, name plates for a trophy that a local kennel club has been using for the past 50 years. It's been a busy week.

That's all for now...... have a great week.... I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: