Saturday, February 23, 2013

Happenings at A Place in Time on February 23, 2013

Good Morning Everyone,

Well, in a few minutes it will be class time and in the midst all the rain we've had in the past couple of days, I am now looking at blue skies with a few puffy white clouds. My Laser Den is about 5% the size of our former store and yet I like it more. My desk faces a large picture window and I can see everything that's happening outside. Fran's class is card making and if you haven't already, you can see the sample cards on my previous Blog.

Realm of Royalty - I just received the word that we are going to hosting an all day workshop on Saturday, March 9th, from 9:00am until 5:00pm. Then on the following day, Sunday, March 10th, you will be introduced to Altered Book Techniques - What's it all about?.It will also start at 9:00am and go to 5:00pm.

Both classes are being conducted by Debbie West and Pam Yee. They will provide bottled water and please feel free to bring a brown bag lunch. There are also a few places with-in walking distance to purchase lunch.

In the first class (March 9th) you will be a Queen For A Day.
     1. You will make a Queenly Journal, a gatefold book cover (taught by Pam Yee). Be sure and bring your own paper, ink or paint to customize your royal journal cover.
     2.  Queen for a Day, make your very own crown, taught by Debbie West. Think bling, jewels and "over the top"! What is your style? Start collecting small treasures, trinkets, and vintage jewelry pieces that you might want to incorporate into your unique headpiece. You can make great use of those unused earrings, pins and other costume jewelry pieces that you hang on to, but no longer wear! The "embellishment bar" will include jewels, die-cut shapes and many more treasures.

The Fee for the workshop is $100.00. Please save the date. Upon confirmation, Pam and Debbie will send you your supply/tool list. This class is also being offered at The Rubber Stamp Plantation on Saturday, March 2nd - same hours.

The second class, Sunday (March 10th) Altered Book Techniques will teach you 10 techniques which can be incorporated into greeting cards, journals, and altered books. Some of the techniques to be covered are: Waterfall Card; Mini Flag Book, Fan of Pockets; Creating a Niche; Tunnel Book; Blizzard Book; Iris Folds; etc.

The Fee for the 2nd class is $70.00. and upon confirmation Pam or Debbie will e-mail you your supply/tool list.

To sign up for either class - please e-mail Debbie (westd005@hawaii.rr.com) or Pam (pamyeealoha@gmail.com). They will send you a supply list and directions.

In my last Blog I spoke about the creation of a new stencil - The "Bamboo Background". I gave the proof to Priscilla and she created the card you see below. After embossing it on the Big Shot, Priscilla used a combination of golds, yellows, and greens to give it a fantastic look. This is the perfect stencil to use as a background and layer the sentiment ( mahalo, happy birthday, with sympathy, etc) on clear plastic over it. Very effective and very easy.



If you have any ideas for a stencil, I would like to hear from you. If it's something we can use in the Laser Den, you get your copy for free.

Last but not least, I wanted to share some pictures of our recent trek up to the Makapuu Light House. It's been at least 10 years since I last made the climb. So much has changed - I remember having to climb through a welded steel gate to access the trail. No parking lot...just park along side the road. Good friends Debbie and Darryl picked us up and off we went. We picked a cool Saturday and the strong winds made the hike all the more interesting. Now, I'm told that on a scale of 1 to 10 this hike would be a 2 maybe a 3? I know it wasn't difficult since I didn't feel the effects of it the next day. Maybe the next time we will shoot for a 3 or a 4.

Priscilla (with the hat) and I think this view of the windward coastline in one the best on the island


trying to capture the fury of the waves

I'm always fascinated by the different colors in the ocean's palette 

The Lighthouse still looks pretty nice. I wonder who cleans it?

Every day I count my blessings - you see a major one standing next to me

Timing is everything in catching the wave

Don't know what kind of flowers these are, but I had to take a photo of the only spot of color on the hike

That's all for now... Have a great weekend... I'll talk with Fran and see when and what she is offering for a class in March.

Bill
A Place in Time
1079 Liku Street
Kailua HI. 96734
1-808-261-2882
wotsearch@hotmail.com
ptcraftshop.com


No comments: