Friday, May 20, 2011

May Happenings on the 20th

Aloha from A Place in Time,

This has been a fun week and before I knew it Aloha Friday has arrived. It was a remarkable week from a couple of perspectives. First, two ladies that frequent our store, brought in some samples to share of their adventures into stenciling.















Marsha took the Dreamweaver stencil (PalmTree Border DW-LL 527) and created a very beautiful card. First, she dry embossed the stencil on the Big Shot and then applied varying dye inks from Stamping Up with a finger dauber. I don't know if the photos show the sparkle in the image, but it definitely adds a charming quality to the design. When I asked Marsha how she achieved the look, she said she used the pens from the Spica glitter pen set. I like her innovative way of using the bottom edge of the stencil to emboss a line underneath the line of palm trees. Very creative!

Debbie brought in some samples of her stenciling techniques and she just blew me away. They have a simple elegance that is just stunning. I thought Debbie was new to stenciling, but if she is I can't wait to see what she's doing a year from now. Debbie used Dreamweaver stencils (Nautilus LS 4 and Dogwood LG 668). After dry embossing them on the Big Shot, she used chalk
ink and a stipple brush to achieve the blended look. I would have probably stopped right there, but Debbie took it an extra step. She used a glue pad and added a coating of mica powders over the ink. The mica powders give the image an iridescent quality. They are stunning.

If you have the time, I have them on display for you to get ideas from. Also, if any of you have designs you would like to share with all of us, please bring them into the store and I'll put them in the blog.



New to the store: Two lines of double-sided paper from Basic Grey - "Sweet Threads" and "Lauderdale". The paper comes with accenting embellishments of Rub-ons, 3-D Folded Flowers, Adhesive Ribbon, Canvas Tags, Note Cards, and Buttons. I promise to have them on the floor for you see tomorrow. Oh boy! Another late night.

Basic Grey finally sent us another line of paper that we have been patiently waiting for. It's called "Core'dinations and did I mention that it's embossed! For those of you that have been enjoying the embossing folders, you can use this paper in your card making. It has great colors and I can't wait to make some samples. This paper won't last long.

Oh, I almost forgot.... We got a new item in the store from Sizzix - Ink-It Letterpress Plates. You apply pigment ink to the acrylic image, layer your choice of paper on top of the plate and run it through the Big Shot. For those of you that don't like stamping because it's hard, you are in for a surprise. It employs the same simplicity that sold out all of embossing folders. Priscilla experimented with them today and was very pleased. She told me " this product won't last long on the shelves.

Lastly, we will be OPEN on Memorial Day and I'm sure we will do something special for the holiday weekend. Fran has two spots that are still available for her A Year in Cards class on the 26th of May. Give me a call if you'd like to share in the fun.

That's all..... See you tomorrow.

No comments: