Friday, May 27, 2011

May Happenings on the 27th

Aloha everyone,

Memorial Day is a very special day. It's more than just a three day holiday where we barbecue, go camping, or just simply "kick back" and enjoy an extra day off. This weekend we take time to honor those people who serve and have served our country to keep us all safe. Hawaii is a special place for me because my dad was on the Oklahoma at Pearl Harbor on December 7th. Fortunately, he survived and hence my brother Jim and I came to be. Both Jim and I honored our dad by joining the Marine Corps. Ha! My dad could more than hold his own in our comparison of the services. They are good memories of him and he had amazing stories to tell. My war was 13 months and then I could rotate home. Today people serve for six months and then rotate home. For those in WWII there was no time limit. My dad's tour was 5 years before he could rotate home. No matter the time, we honor their service this weekend. Take the time to remember them.

If asked, would you know that the Poppy flower is the flower associated with Memorial Day? Priscilla has come up with a really cute Make and Take for this weekend. You will decorate our clear crystal tubes with an origami red poppy flower, Eclips paper diecuts, and patriotic ribbon. The clear crystal tubes have been used for many events as party favors. We hope you will have the time to come and celebrate with us, talk story about family and friends that serve and have served. The Poppy Make and Take will be from 12 - 4pm each day - Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. The cost of the Make and Take is $3.00 with $1.00 of that going to The Food Bank.

I will be adding to this blog entry later today with information on big sale we will be having.

See you tomorrow.....


No comments: